Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

DIY Tipi/Teepee Garden + Garden Update

We have officially finished the walk-in Tipi garden! Well, we still a few minor adjustments to make, but for the most part it is complete. Here is how it all went down...

First we prepped the desired site by loosening the soil and removing the grass. I chose the area on the left side of the screened in porch, and also near a hose, for the garden site.
Next, we dug the holes needed for the garden beds.
Then we laid the landscape fabric in order to prevent weed growth.
After filling the beds with dirt and spreading mulch throughout the walkways, we prepared the tipis. For this we used wood, chicken wire, metal poles, zip ties, and a staple gun.
I then added some bulbs I had from the front yard garden and planted white marigold and purple zinnia seeds.
Here is the look of the garden as of now:
I used some left over stained pallet and fabric paint to make the markers for my vegetables. I recommend practicing first before painting on your final product. I did not, as can be witnessed with my markers. We then cut the markers with a table saw.
How cute are peas? They are my favorite plant so far. Just look at those tendrils!
The black beans are called Cherokee Trail of Tears. These beans have an amazing history and were carried by the Cherokee Tribe on that harrowing walk. Learn more here and here. I also have red bush beans and the Italian Rose beans are quite the lookers. I also have peas, slicing cucumbers, and a pickle cucumber hybrid.
I have hot peppers that include Hungarian Wax, Chili, Cayenne, and Poblano.
I am also waiting on the plant form of red and green Jalapenos, called Biker Billy Hybrid. These were some that my husband killed =|
 Here are the Sweet Peppers, Zucchini, Summer Squash, and Eggplants.
I also have 20+ strawberry plants, Loganberry, and I am super excited about the Seedless Concord Grapes.

I will update soon on my container gardening progress.

Happy gardening!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a line or two with any comments or suggestions here. I look forward to hearing from you; Sunburst Ninja! \(*O*)/ ✌