Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

DIY Rustic Wall Mount Wine Rack

I am super excited about having this project finished. I did this one entirely on my own, except for the hanging (thanks babe!).

I started out with a pallet and disassembled it.


I then stained the wood with one coat of Wood Finish Minwax stain.

I played around with some pieces until I found ones that fit together well and also added a rustic feel. I ended up choosing the smaller pieces with some medium width pieces. I found some pieces that angled down and were perfect for the end pieces. I then used some left over wood to make the supporting back piece. I screwed everything securely and added wall mounts to the back.


Here was the hard part: choosing the actual mounts for the bottles. It was not nearly as easy as I thought it would be. However, I ended up settling on some rustic bed springs. The springs come in many shapes and sizes and are offered on many websites. You could also pull some from an old mattress or find some from craft stores or a used furniture store. I ultimately chose the largest ones that I could find on a website and purchased them for $10. I then spray painted them (since I could only find 'rusty' ones).


I tested the ability of the springs to hold a wine bottle and found that these particular springs would not stretch horizontally :( .  This left me with a look that I did not originally intend. After screwing the springs in I marked where the springs needed to be cut.


I used a dremel to cut the springs and my husband screwed a piece of wood for support into the wall where I wanted this wine rack hung. I am extremely happy with the way the the springs turned out and with the final look of this wine rack.

Here is the final result!


All of this was done for free, except for the cost of the springs, due to the products I have available at my home; but this project would still remain well below the price of a purchased rack if the products must be purchased.

Happy crafting! Feel free to comment with any questions or suggestions.

1 comment :

  1. I think this is my favorite project you have done so far. The salvaged wood gives a rustic charm to any home. Plus this style never gets old. Not to mention I am pretty sure I can do this project, which is saying something!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a line or two with any comments or suggestions here. I look forward to hearing from you; Sunburst Ninja! \(*O*)/ ✌